- Economics and Management (concentration through the Carl A. Gerstacker Institute for Business and Management); minor in Communication Studies
- Detroit, Mich.
- Communication & Engagement Manager,
- In a nutshell, what do you do?
- Working for a small but mighty nonprofit means I do lots of different things, from communicating with our fellows to coordinating events as well as assisting with our fellow recruitment efforts and our online media presence. In a nutshell, we truly are a team of three that work together to accomplish a lot each and every day.
- What are you working on right now?
- Currently I am thinking creatively about how to better our recruitment efforts as we look for our fifth class of Challenge Detroit fellows to start in September of 2016. This is an exciting time of year for us and we always look forward to meeting the next group of talented individuals eager to be a part of what is happening in Detroit.
- Why do you love what you do?
- I love what I do for a lot of reasons. First, I love working for Challenge Detroit because it truly is what started my career in the city of Detroit. I was a fellow in our inaugural class immediately following my graduation from Albion. The opportunity to give back to an organization that gave me my start is amazing. Also, I truly love the mission of Challenge Detroit. Cultivating talent to live, work, play, give and lead in Detroit is an exciting thing to be doing. Our fellows are making an incremental impact in the city each day, and at this time in the city’s history we are all rallying together to create the next Detroit.
- How did Albion help you get there?
- More and more I realize that Albion truly taught me to think, analyze, listen and understand. Being able to listen to and understand an individual’s story is vital to the success of the work that Challenge Detroit is doing with nonprofits in Detroit, and my liberal arts education has been a vital part of my growth and success so far.
- For me, Albion ...
- ... was home. A place to make mistakes, learn, explore new ideas and discover what intrigues me. It served as a stepping stone to what my life and career are now, almost four years later, and continues to be a source of inspiration, connection and education for me moving forward.
Take It Further: Caroline picked for Challenge Detroit, Economics and Management, Gerstacker Institute, Communication Studies
More Success Stories