- Economics and Management, Psychology
- New York, N.Y.
- Associate Analyst, Stifel Equity Research
- In a nutshell, what do you do?
- I work within a small team providing research coverage of industrial and clean technology stocks for investors (hedge funds, mutual funds, etc.). On a daily basis, our team builds and updates financial models, writes research reports, communicates ideas to investors, fields questions, and monitors news flow and data points as they pertain to our coverage universe. We cover a variety of different subsectors such as solar, energy efficiency, and plays on natural gas and hybrid/electric vehicles, to name a few.
- Why do you love what you do?
- I love what I do because the job and responsibilities are constantly evolving; one day I may be attending meetings in Amsterdam followed by a quick flight to Norway for several more. The next week I may be poring over financial models into the wee hours because our companies are reporting earnings, or attending conferences and chatting up CEOs, CFOs, and other company executives. It’s always exciting and never a dull moment in this world.
- How did Albion help you get there?
- Albion gave me a very important thing—an enthusiastic alumni network. Leveraging this network, I accepted a two-month internship at NorthPointe Capital where I worked and learned under many fantastic and incredibly intelligent people who passed along my résumé and kind words of recommendation to my current boss in New York City. This connection was crucial given the fact that many in this industry attended Harvard, Yale, Wharton, and other Ivy League institutions, giving them an instant advantage on paper. Beyond this, I spoke with several alumni who gave me interviewing tips, put in a good word at their respective firms, and were in general just eager to help out a fellow Brit. Having so many great alumni in your court to vouch for you, utilize their connections on your behalf, and give you advice is really an invaluable thing.
In addition, during my four years, Albion gave me access to exceptionally smart professors whom I will always appreciate for helping me realize my love for economics and finance—and giving me the tools I needed to succeed.
- For me, Albion...
- ...was the best four years of my life.
- Anything else you'd like to add?
- The E&M department is truly remarkable. I admire this group of people for their passion, intelligence, and willingness to help students during their four years and even as they continue the journey in their professional careers.
Take It Further: Economics and Management, Psychological Science
More Success Stories