- Economics and Management, Psychology
- New York, N.Y.
- Associate, Equity Research – Machinery, RBC Capital Markets
- In a nutshell, what do you do?
- I work within the Industrials Equity Research team, providing coverage of machinery stocks for investors (hedge funds, mutual funds, etc.). On a daily basis, our team builds and updates financial models, writes research reports, communicates ideas to investors, and tries to find differentiated methods to most accurately analyze and forecast our stocks under coverage.
- Why do you love what you do?
- I love what I do because the job and responsibilities are constantly evolving. One day I may be traveling for conferences or analyst events, the next day I may be poring over financial models into the wee hours if a company reported earnings. I have the opportunity to talk to so many different people, including high-level company executives, industry professionals and clients. It’s always exciting and never a dull moment in this world.
- How did Albion help you get there?
- Albion gave me a very important thing—an enthusiastic alumni network. Leveraging this network, I accepted a two-month internship at NorthPointe Capital where I worked and learned under many fantastic and incredibly intelligent people who passed along my résumé and kind words of recommendation to my first boss in New York City, where I spent over two years. This connection was crucial given that many in this industry attended Harvard, Yale, Wharton and other Ivy League institutions, giving them an instant advantage on paper. Beyond this, I spoke with several alumni who gave me interviewing tips, put in a good word with their respective firms, and were in general just eager to help out a fellow Brit. Having so many great alumni in your court to vouch for you, utilize their connections on your behalf, and give you advice is really an invaluable thing.
In addition, during my four years, Albion gave me access to exceptionally smart professors whom I will always appreciate for helping me realize my love for economics and finance—and giving me the tools I needed to succeed.
- For me, Albion...
- ...was the best four years of my life.
- Anything else you’d like to add?
- The E&M department is truly remarkable. I admire this group of people for their passion, intelligence and willingness to help students during their four years and even as they continue the journey in their professional careers. If finance is a career you plan to enter, do not underestimate the importance of rigorous coursework. Advanced accounting does matter, statistics does matter, and learn Excel like your life depends on it.
Take It Further: Economics and Management, Psychological Science
More Success Stories