- Music Education (Minor in Biology)
- Graduate/Professional School:
- M.Mus., Michigan State University
- State College, Pa.
- Associate Professor of Music, Penn State University
- In a nutshell, what do you do?
- I teach voice to undergraduate and graduate students; I also teach the song literature and opera literature courses. As part of my research, I am required to perform and so I do occasional opera roles and frequent recitals.
- What are you working on right now?
- Other than daily preparation for students’ voice lessons and preparation for my academic lectures, I am learning how to sing in the mixed-belt for musical theatre (my training is as a classical singer); I am also learning new arias for possible auditions.
- Why do you love what you do?
- I find that it is fulfilling to be able to communicate universal emotions and experiences through song. I also enjoy singing in foreign languages and being exposed to other cultures, ways of thinking, and being exposed to exotic places and history. I like having to try to improve myself and my abilities on a day-to-day basis.
- How did Albion help you get there?
- Albion allowed me to explore all of my interests, to explore my potential and to develop into the person I am today. I started in biology and ended up in music. Through the mentoring and instruction of caring and talented faculty, I was able to grow and put aside my inhibitions and embark on a journey, which took me beyond my wildest dreams.
- For me, Albion...
- ...was a life-altering experience. I stood at the fork in the road during a significant chapter in my life and I chose the road less taken, and to quote Robert Frost: “and that has made all the difference.”
- Anything else you’d like to add?
- I am grateful for the knowledge, experience and mentoring I received at Albion. It was a safe and nurturing environment for me. I discovered my passion for music and was inspired to stretch myself and see how far I could go. Who knew it would take me to foreign lands and introduce me to people and cultures I never dreamed of being exposed to!
Take It Further: More on Jennifer's career, Music Department, Education Department, Biology Department
More Success Stories