Sustainability Committee Offers Green Holiday Ideas
Putting a little green into the holiday season is the goal of Albion's Sustainability Committee, which offers the following ideas:
- Instead of buying store gift cards, check out giftzip.com—give the gift without the plastic. JW
- Wrap your holiday gifts in reusable ties: bungee cords, hair ribbons, decorative garlands. SH
- Use dish towels, scarves, baby blankets, and bandannas for gift wrap. SH
- A gift to the elderly could be healthy (fresh fruit, dried fruit) and just a little chocolate. Make it fair trade. SH
- Grow a plant or herbs for a gift. SH
- Give a gift that isn’t a “thing," such as tickets to a game, movie, concert or play. SH
- Offer your services: weeding a garden, shoveling snow, an afternoon of babysitting, or a game of checkers. SH
- Handmade gifts are nice (knitted items, woodworking projects).
- Give tools for more sustainable living (gardening supplies, bread making equipment, energy efficient electronics).
- We probably are weeding our closets every so often. Bundle up things for AIM or Goodwill. Recycling clothes is very important, particularly outerwear at this time of the year.
- Make a donation to a charitable organization in the recipient’s name. To make it even greener, make the donation to an environmental organization (such as adopting an acre or reef through The Nature Conservancy, or an animal through The World Wildlife Fund). MS
- Give baked items as gifts. Pack in a reusable container. MS
- Give a gift in someone else’s name—the WSPCA gives litle stuffed animals in acknowledgement. My family loves it. NR