Albion College's professional writing major in the English Department prepares you for a variety of writing-related careers (journalism, editing, public relations, marketing, grant writing, etc.).
Like all our majors, this one includes plenty of literary reading and study. The added emphasis on writing classes means that you will also learn
- to analyze a wide variety of rhetorical situations.
- to develop persuasively argued large professional writing projects such as grants, proposals, reports, and studies.
- to use a variety of media (video, audio, graphic) to support and convey written arguments and reporting.
English Major with Professional Writing Emphasis
9 units from English, including 203, 208:
- 203: Advanced Expository Writing
- 208: Professional Writing
1 unit from 206, 207, 223:
- 206: Writing in Place
- 207: Multimedia Journalism
- 223: Introduction to Writing Creative Nonfiction
2 units from 306, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, Communication Studies 306, Communication Studies 365; two English courses that satisfy the textual analysis mode requirement:
- 306: Magazine Writing
- 308: Advanced Multimedia Journalism
- 309/310: Multimedia Editing I (1/2, 1)
- 311/312: Multimedia Editing II (1/2, 1)
- 313/314: Magazine Editing
- CS 306: Public Relations
- CS 365: Media Theory
- ENGL (MTA)
- ENGL (MTA)
2 additional English literature courses, at least one at the 300 level or above:
- Literature (300 level or above)