Majors and Minors
Requirements for Major
- Eight units, including the following:
Ethnic Studies 103, one unit.
Five units from an approved list of courses (see below). These courses, to be selected in consultation with the program chair, must include two at the 200-level and three at the 300-level. They must be selected from three different departments.
An ethnic studies-related internship (or off-campus experience), one unit. The internship, providing hands-on experience with other racial or ethnic communities, may be completed in ethnic communities elsewhere in the United States or in study and research in ancestral communities or multi-ethnic communities outside the United States. Students upon returning must schedule an appointment with the ethnic studies faculty and submit evaluation form(s) and journal report to the ethnic studies faculty on how their experience has enhanced their multicultural understanding of the world. Students, working in consultation with the program chair, are encouraged to explore a variety of options for the internship experience.
Ethnic Studies 370, one unit.
Ethnic Studies Major Electives
The following courses may be used to fulfill the elective component in the ethnic studies major.
- Anthropology and Sociology
- 345 Race and Ethnicity
- Art History
- 312 Race and Its Representation in American Art
- Communication Studies
- 313 Intercultural Communication
- Economics and Management
- 322 Issues in Modern Political Economy
- 354 Labor Economics
- 202 Foundational Contexts of Education
- 211 Latina/o Literature
- 360 The Problem of Race in American Literature
- Ethnic Studies
- 260 Caribbean Identity and Migration
- 330 French Louisiana
- 142 Modern Latin America
- 243 African American History, 1865 to the Present
- 270 Going North: Latin American Immigration and U.S. History
- 300 Slave Societies of the Americas
- 390 History of Women in the United States, 1877-Present
- 385 British India
- 398 The 1960s
- Modern Languages and Cultures
- 107 "Our Americas": Crossing Borders, Histories, and Cultures
- 362 Hispanic Literature and Cultures in the U.S.
- 372 Postmodernism and Theatre
- Selected 189, 289, 389 Courses (as approved by the ethnic studies chair)