Majors and Minors
Requirements for Major in Athletic Training
Albion College's Athletic Training Education Program has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). As graduates of a CAATE-accredited education program, our students can sit for the national Board of Certification examination.
Students must apply for admission to the athletic training major after enrolling at Albion College. All admission criteria, retention criteria, and required application forms may be obtained from the athletic training program director or by downloading them from the Athletic Training Education Program Web site at http://www.albion.edu/athletictraining. Transfer students must follow all of the admission procedures as outlined in this section. Credit for course work from other institutions will be handled on an individual basis.
Completed application packets are due the Monday after fall break for fall admission and the Monday after spring break for spring admission. The athletic training program can be completed in a minimum of five semesters although this minimum is not encouraged. Students may participate on one athletic team while completing the athletic training major, but those students may be expected to complete some program requirements during the summer, in an extra fall semester, or during their athletic season if appropriate progress is not attained.
- Students in the athletic training major must complete thirteen and three-quarter units of required and prerequisite course work including the following: Kinesiology 194, 211, 213, 233, 240, 243, 253, 293, 294, 310, 342, 353, 369, 379, 393, 394, 401, 453, and 494.
- All courses for the major must be taken for a numerical grade.
- The following cognate is required: Psychology 101.
- Athletic training students must meet a 900-hour clinical requirement over the course of a minimum of five semesters. While students majoring in athletic training may play one sport, these individuals must be aware that attaining the 900-hour clinical requirement is made more difficult because of time spent playing their sport, and they may need to obtain clinical experience in the summer or attend Albion for an extra semester.
Requirements for Major in Exercise Science
- Ten and one-half units including: Kinesiology 207, 211, 213, 233, 240, 310, 368, 369, 379, 381 and 382.
- All courses for the major must be taken for a numerical grade, except those offered only on a credit/no credit basis.
Requirements for Minor in Exercise Science
- Five and one-half units, including: Kinesiology 211, 240, 368, 369, 379 and one of the following: 381 or 382.
- All courses for the minor must be taken for a numerical grade, except those offered only on a credit/no credit basis.