Music is one of the oldest disciplines in the liberal arts, and thus represents one of the traditional fields of knowledge. Integration with other disciplines is represented well within the department, for music brings people in contact with great literature such as drama and poetry, with dance, with historical and sociological trends, and with religious and philosophical ideas.
One of the most important contributions provided by the Music Department is the opportunity for self-expression, either individually or with others. The stimulation and enjoyment derived from music springs from study, self-examination and criticism, discipline, knowledge of other disciplines that bear upon musical interpretation, and a desire to achieve excellence. These are liberating, civilizing, sensitizing influences upon humanity in any age and in any place; they help prepare students for rich and rewarding lives.
The philosophy and mission of Albion College are reflected in four primary goals of the Music Department:
- To be an artistic presence on the campus and to share the rich heritage of great music with students, faculty and community;
- To expose students to and involve them with the creative process through music, to heighten students' sensitivity to themselves and others, and to introduce them to a broad range of significant music;
- To develop an understanding of music, impart knowledge of music and increase musical skills by means of courses offered within the framework of the liberal arts;
- To provide courses and curricula for music majors so they may have the necessary foundation for graduate study, teaching, performing, or other career-oriented goals.
The Music Department offers courses for a broad range of students—from those who aspire to a musical career to those who wish to develop their avocational interests in music. Membership in all performing ensembles and opportunities for private music lessons are open to all students regardless of major. Albion has an excellent library of books, musical scores, recordings and stereo listening equipment—all available for student use. Albion College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
The Music Department offers three music curricula:
- music major
- music major with performance emphasis
- music major with music education emphasis
These programs are listed below with an explanation of the purpose and the requirements for each.