International Student Services

Albion College international students and Center for International Education staff have fun in front of the camera.

Where you'll find support for… everything.

International students often choose Albion College because they know they'll have the support they need on campus.

International Orientation

Living and studying far from home can be challenging. You may need help becoming confortable with with our customs, lifestyles, academic practices, and even our food. We've created an international orientation program to help you in the transition.

You'll be greeted at the airport by international orientation leaders and the director of the Center for International Education. They'll take you to your room at Albion, where your residence hall assistant will help you settle in.

At international orientation, you'll get to know our campus and the city of Albion. We will help ease your transition and introduce you to the many ways you can get involved on campus. We provide help with things like bank accounts, Social Security card applications, and shopping trips.

Degree-seeking international students will also participate in SOAR (Student Orientation Advising and Registration), an exciting program that introduces all new students to Albion College.

Advising and Counseling

Every Albion student has at least four advisors: student and faculty first-year mentors, an academic advisor, and a residence hall assistant. You'll also have international faculty and peer advisors to help make Albion feel like home. Further, our Counseling Services office provides all students with confidential mental health counseling. The Counseling Services staff can also provide referrals to community mental health agencies.

Health Care

Albion College's Student Health Services clinic provides every Albion student  complete outpatient health care with referrals to specialists as needed. Visits to Student Health Services and college physicians are free; however, there may be an occasional small charge for supplies or medication. Full laboratory testing and X-rays are available in cooperation with Oaklawn Hospital. A health insurance program is required for international students to cover services not offered on campus.

Employment Opportunities

Campus employment is available to help you meet expenses. The Student Employment Office has a listing of on- and off-campus jobs available to all students. You may also seek assistance with internships and Optional Practical Training (OPT) jobs by contacting the director of the Center for International Education or other Albion staff and faculty.

Student wages vary—on-campus jobs usually pay between $7.40 and $9.00 per hour. During the academic year, full-time students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week. When school is not in session, you're allowed to work full-time depending upon your visa status.


Our students go everywhere—and most of them rely on our (free) College transportation. Campus Safety takes students to and from medical appointments or classes (if injured). We also take groups to local stores, shopping malls, groceries, and department stores at least once a week. During scheduled holidays, a shuttle service is available to and from Michigan airports for a minimal fee.

Religious and Multicultural Diversity

At Albion, we value all faiths and individual spiritual development. The Office of the Chaplain supports programs that promote innovative thought on ethics, religion, and social responsibility. And the Office of Intercultural Affairs supports underrepresented students by promoting awareness of multicultural issues among all students, staff, and faculty.