The late spring made for a Commencement in full bloom on Albion College's quadrangle on May 10. Family members enjoyed sunshine and flowering trees as they celebrated the members of the Class of 2014.
Susan Conner, Albion College's provost and vice president for academic affairs, recently announced her intention to retire as of June 30, 2014 after 39 years of service in education.
While the U.S. Department of Agriculture has tried to simplify nutritional information, with resources providing a visual of what healthy servings of food should look like on a plate, research conducted by Albion biology major and exercise science minor Emily Werner, '14, has found that knowledge of dietary guidelines among the college-age population is far from where it should be.
Albion College Distinguished Alumnus James Curtis, '44, an esteemed psychiatrist whose published works include important insights into affirmative action policy and practice, was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science degree by his graduate alma mater, the University of Michigan, during its May 3 Commencement ceremony.
"You have to push it, rather than throw it," says Josh Hall, '14, of a spear-throwing lesson he recently had with Maasai Moran in Kenya. Discovering a new talent was an unexpected bonus for Hall, who is spending the spring 2014 semester in Africa, learning Swahili and studying wildlife management, wildlife ecology and environmental policy.
The annual Albion College event notes outstanding achievements in teaching and learning, leadership and service. Students and faculty were recognized during a traditional ceremony in Goodrich Chapel on April 24, between the morning and afternoon sessions of the Elkin R. Isaac Student Research Symposium.
- Expert Richard Alley Shares Facts, Optimism About Climate Change
- McDiarmid, '84, Powers On Isaac Symposium with Energy Update
- Pressprich, '14, Featured on Cover of NCAA Champion Magazine
- From Model UN to Soccer, Bobowski, '16, Leads by Example
- Michigan Campus Compact Recognizes 25 Albion Students
- Climate Expert Richard Alley to Keynote 25th Isaac Symposium
- Albion to Recognize 2014 Young Alumni Award Recipients
- Harrison-Ross, '56, Recognized by NY Society for Ethical Culture
- Dave Camp, '75, to Retire from Congress
- Stephanie Sanders, '15, Awarded Goldwater Scholarship