Michael L. Frandsen, who since 2004 has served Albion College as an administrator and faculty member, will leave Albion at the conclusion of his interim presidency June 30. Oberlin College announced today that Frandsen will become vice president for finance and administration effective July 1.
Albion College professor of history Marcy Sacks was quoted in today's edition of The New York Times in a story describing what writer Rachel L. Swarns calls a "mostly forgotten slice of history" following one of New York City's—and America's—ugliest civil disturbances: the 1863 draft riots.
Albion College caps its Sustainability Theme Year with Commencement speaker Fedele Bauccio, co-founder and CEO of Bon Appétit Management Company. Commencement will be held Saturday, May 10.
Albion's Sister City Committee recognized its founding chair, Sue Marcos, in a special ceremony Tuesday, March 4. "Without Sue Marcos … hundreds of Albion College students would never have traveled to France as part of their education, and Albion College would not have gotten a Simon Award," said French professor Dianne Guenin-Lelle.
A pioneer girl who put herself through college, seminary and medical school, eventually rising to the national stage as a suffragist, is the focus of a groundbreaking new book by Trisha Franzen (left), professor of women’s and gender studies. Anna Howard Shaw: The Work of Woman Suffrage examines the life and work of one of Albion College’s most distinguished alumnae.
Economics and management professor emeritus Maurice Branch passed away February 23 in Chelsea, Michigan, aged 92. Branch, who taught at Albion for 33 years, "was a liberal arts teacher in the sense that he understood economics as a human science and he brought out the humanity in it," said professor emeritus Larry Steinhauer. A memorial service is scheduled for May 10 at 11 a.m. at Silver Maples Retirement Community in Chelsea.
- College Wins 2014 Simon Award for International Initiative
- Moon, '13, Cracks Yankees' Athletic Training Lineup
- On 'Anna Howard Shaw Day,' a Birthday Story
- Shanton, Albion Connect with Costa Rican Graduate Students
- Student-Athletes Host Special Olympics Basketball Tournament
- English's Nels Christensen on 'Greening of the Great Lakes'
- Bond Examines 'Dream' Successes, Challenges at MLK Convocation
- History Professor Dick Hailed for Community Involvement
- Heartwell, '71, Named to Obama Task Force
- Trombley, '14, Rewarded for Community Journalism