About the Interview
- Research the position. Know about all aspects of the staff member role including programming, micro counseling, discipline, community building, staff interactions, etc.
- Reflect on why you want a position as a RA and what you hope to accomplish in the position.
- Review activities you have done recently so that you can demonstrate how your experiences could assist you as a staff member.
- Think about what makes you unique. Ask yourself the question, "Would I hire myself as a staff member and why?"
- Dress professional for the interview. Wear something that makes you feel relaxed and confident and that would make a good first impression.
- Arrive 5-10 minutes early. Confirm the time and place.
- Remain calm. Remember that you should be yourself during the interview. Take a deep breath before you enter the room.
- Acknowledge each member of the interviewing team. Offer to shake hands and introduce yourself.
- Maintain eye contact and listen intently. Make sure you understand the question before you answer. Ask for clarification if you need to. It is perfectly acceptable to pause and reflect for a few moments before you answer the question. Remember to answer all parts of the question.
- Use appropriate language when responding to questions. Remember to speak clearly and confidently.
Interview Dress Code
Candidates are encouraged to dress professionally. Nylons or a tie are not required, but it is important to make an effort to look like you want the job. As mentioned above, wear something that makes you relaxed and confident.